Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Daddy's day

Today was a big day for Dad. Molly was very crabby this morning which didn't help Mom's oncoming migraine. When Molly went down for her nap so did Mom but Mom woke early and went out for a massage. This left Dad alone with a ticking time bomb - a baby about to wake up cranky and see that Mom was no longer there. I was confronted by all my fears of "holy crap I have no idea what I'm doing!!" Then a funny thing happened. Molly woke up slowly, did not cry. I lifted her up, we made a bottle together and I sat her down and fed her. No tears, not even a sound. We had about an hour of alone time before Mom got back.
Later we went to our final meeting with the Chinese government where we got our official adoption certificate. I even held her in my lap on the bus. Tonight at dinner she sat on Daddy's lap while I again fed her and she was all smiles and giggles. Dad taught her to clap her hands and that went over big. Lots of laughs. On the walk home we stopped to look for a cute outfit for Molly (and Mom) and Molly & Dad practiced walking, even up stairs. All the ladies in the shops were in love with Molly. "piaoliang" (beautiful) they would say.
All in all a good day for this Dad, the luckiest Dad in the world. Molly's Dad.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful and yes..you will face some mood swings..ha..ha..ha but they are all very fun time.
Very happy for you both and Melissa can't wait to see Molly.
She starts practising to call Molly..
Have fun guys
Hellen

Katie said...

Okay, I am completely obsessed...I’m a Mollyoholic! I just can't stop looking at the pictures. Can’t wait for you guys to come home already :o)

Maia said...

That DOES sound like a dreamy day for Dad! Hopefully Mom's migraine was gone by the time you all woke up this morning. In other news, there was a lovely companion piece to your journey on Fresh Air today. Journalist Jeff Gammage and his wife adopted two daughters from China and he wrote a book about it. It was amazing to listen to it and think of you three and what you are experiencing right this moment so many miles away. xoxo